The 100 Most Common Words in English?

It's great to learn new words and structures in English, but sometimes it's also a good idea to go back and review what you already know.

Today's activity comes from the Sporcle website and is a quick test to see if you know the 100 most commonly used words in the English language.

Task:

  • Before you start, think about what some of the most commonly used words might be in your first language. In English articles, pronouns and prepositions are used in almost every sentence, so you might think about starting with those.
  • When you are ready click on 'Ready? Click to Start'.
  • Start typing words into the box. Correct words will appear in the grid. If not you will have to delete the word and try another one.


  • After 12 minutes the correct words will appear. Good luck.
I hope you enjoy this activity. Here you can find more Quiz Activities or you could search the Sporcle site for more language related quizzes

Related links for teachers:

Best

Nik Peachey

5 comments:

Chris Fry Barcelona said...

Quite interesting, although I was disappointed with my score - I only got 60 out of 100 and I'm an English teacher!

Years ago I made something similar with prepositions - What are the 31 most frequently used prepositions?

I have now tried to do the same for the 100 most frequently used words in English?

Of course mine looks very simple compared to daviddr's on Sporcle, but my idea has the additional help of also displaying the words in alphabetical order.

Nik Peachey said...

Hi Chris
Don't be disappointed, you did better than me. Thanks for posting links to your resources. What did you use to create these with??

Best

Nik

Essay2Review said...

This is quite interesting. Tried it got only 65 out of 100. Thanks for sharing the site!

Chris Fry Barcelona said...

Hi Nik,

I used one of the TexToys - WebRhubarb. TexToys is not free but is quite cheap. It is available online from here: TexToys

Carissa Peck said...

Fun! I got around 70, though I admit when I was stuck I began looking at students papers for words they used.

My Books & Lesson Plans