Today's activity comes from a website called Many Things that has large collection of North American short stories that you can listen to and read. This should give you plenty of practice at hearing and understanding different accents.
- Go to: http://www.manythings.org/voa/stories/ here you will see a collection of links to different stories.
- I recommend that you start with this one by Mark Twain, a famous American Author.
- The story is called 'The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County'
- You can either listen to the story and read it on the web page, or you can download the story as an mp3 file and listen to it later.
- There is now a regular jumping frog contest. You can watch this video and find out more about the Calaveras Jumping frog contest by watching this movie.
- You can also learn more about the background to the story and its connection with the real event in this movie.
To find out more about Mark Twain and his work, take a look at this entry on Wikipedia: Mark Twain
I hope you enjoy this story. Come back tomorrow for more EFL ESL activities.
Related links for teachers:
- Prompting reading speeds
- Text to Speech for EFL ESL Materials
- Fantastic Free E-Books for EFL and ELT
- Free ebooks on elearning
- Writing Project Community
- Free Web Publishing Community