Ted writes about aspects of North American culture, so his blog is a 'good read' if you want to find out more about the USA. At the end of each posting he also writes a 'wild words' section which gives explanations of some of the more unusual words from his text, so be sure to check these and make vocabulary record of them.
- In this activity you will read one of his articles called Real America.
- Go to the article at: Real America It describes a number of places in the USA.
- Before you start to read, scroll down the page and take a few moments to look at the images on the page. Read the caption for each image.
- Next, scan the text quickly ( don't read every word) and try to find all the place names that each of the sections describes. Make a note of each one.
- Once you have done this read the article again in more detail and make notes of any information you can find about each of these places.
- Once you have done this, read the article in more detail and try to decide which of the places mentioned in the article you would most like to visit.
- Once you have decided you could leave a comment here to say which one you would like to visit and why.
- Also be sure to read abut the 'wild words' he included and try to find them in the text. You could even create a vocabulary record of this text using yesterdays activity Remember More Vocabulary
Related links for teachers:
- Create EFL / ESL Lesson Plans in Mins
- Adventure Narratives for EFL ESL Students
- Using Word Clouds in EFL ESL
- Prompting reading speeds
- Eco City Game
- The Encyclopedia of Life
- More Reading Activities