Today's activity will look at a website called OneLook Reverse Dictionary which can help you with this. You can also practice using the site by doing an online crossword puzzle.
- To try out the OneLook Reverse Dictionary got to: http://www.onelook.com/reverse-dictionary.shtml
- Type in the definition for a word (e.g. 'a bird tat can swim') and see if what the dictionary offers you. You will get a list of related words and the most likely matches will come first (my example got 'duck' at 3).
- Click on the words and you will find definitions and examples of pronunciation.
- This is a great tool to use to help you do crosswords in English. You can find crossword puzzles at: http://www.boatloadpuzzles.com/playcrossword
- Copy the crossord clues and type them into the Reverse Dictionary.
- Find a word that matches the number of letters for the clue and then type it in.
- Soon you will be solving crossword puzzles, developing your vocabulary and developing your ability to explain words in English rather than relying on translation.
Related links for teachers:
- Create Image Books
- Create a Flickr Montage
- Great Time Line Tool
- Create a YouTube Carousel
- Interactive presentations
- A Picture's worth
- Picture phrases
- Make Your EFL ESL Yearbook
- Personalised flashcards