Today's activity uses a site called Social Translator where you can find lots of translated videos, and texts and some that are waiting to be translated.
- You are going to start by listening to a short video clip and writing the text in English. You can watch the clip here:
- Play the clip and pause it while you write down the text with a pencil and paper.
- Once you have written down the complete text in English, check it against the English transcription on the site here by clicking on 'Play' next to English > English.
- Correct any errors in your text. Then go to http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ here you can type in each sentence of your English text and click to translate it into your own language.
- Computer translation is not very accurate, so you will need to think about the meaning and correct the translation.
- Once you have the complete text translated, you can join the Social Translation site and add your translation to the video clip. Just click on 'Join' and create your account, then go back to the video and click on 'click here' underneath 'Translate This'.
This is a great way to practice your listening , grammar, vocabulary and translation skills.
If you want to request translations of words you don't know you can go to: http://socialtranslator.org/request and add a word or phrase.
If you enjoyed this activity you can find other videos to watch and translate here: http://socialtranslator.org/translations/videos These already have English transcription.
Here you can find more translation activities.
Related links for teachers:
- Multilingual Instant Chat Rooms
- Flickr and Wiktionary Based Image Dictionary
- Exploiting Travel Images
- Online Video: For Language Development
- Online Video: As Communication
- Free Educational TV Channels
- News Videos for EFL ESL Materials Design
- Exploiting a Video Viral