Learn How to Pronounce New Words

It's very important when you learn what a new word means, to also learn how to pronounce the word, so today's activity use a very simple website which gives you models of how to pronounce words.
The website is called 'HowJSay' and all you have to do is type a word in to the search box and click on the submit button.

You will then see a list of words that have a similar spelling. The word you want will be highlighted in pink.

Task:
  • You can use this tool whenever you find new words that you want to use, but to get some practice, let's learn some quotes from Shakespeare. Go to Shakespeare quotes
  • Try to learn 4 quotes. Check the pronunciation of any words you don't know using 'HowJSay' .
  • You could also go to the BBC news site at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/and look for words there that you can't pronounce. After you hear the words try to pronounce them.
I hope you enjoy this activity and come back tomorrow for more EFL ESL activities.

Related links:
Best

Nik Peachey

4 comments:

Enopharm said...

your blog is very useful and informative.

Andrea said...

Thanks!! your blog have many important information and links for people like me: learners of your english language

Nik Peachey said...

Thanks Andrea. Glad you found it useful.

Best

Nik

Unknown said...

Dear Nik,

I'm very excited about your great site! Today is my first acquaintance on your site and I am already a fan of yours! I've only seen your HOWJSAY part but I'm sure I'll soon visit the rest of your activities. HOWJSAY is very useful for me!
Hug compliments to you!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!for sharing!
Have a nice day.
Best wishes from Holland.
Ans Kwak (remedial teacher)

My Books & Lesson Plans